“What the teacher is, is more important than what he teaches.” ― Karl A. Menninger
Over the last year, we have interviewed and spoken with many amazing teachers interested in joining us here at Acro Enso. After listening to the valuable insights of each of these community leaders, we’ve learned that a true teacher is defined by much more than what he or she is able to teach. A true teacher is defined by the ethical model he or she represents and cultivates within our community.
The Ethical Teacher understands the responsibility of shaping and growing our community from the ground up. This responsibility requires these teachers to invest daily in themselves and in their students in order to create and maintain a safe container and thriving learning environment. They must set the example by leading the conversation around respect, communication, and proper conduct within our community. A commitment like this is undertaken by passionate teachers who care about what they’re teaching and how their teaching is received. These teachers will utilize all of the tools available to them to support the healthy growth of their community.
At Acro Enso we require all of our teachers to read and sign the Ethical Teacher Agreement which illustrates a standard code of conduct for all teachers. Simply agreeing to this document will not be enough, however. We expect all of our teachers to lead by example and to take action by upholding the principles of the Ethical Teacher. Here at Acro Enso, we aim to set the standard for quality and excellence in everything we do.
The Acro Enso Ethical Teacher Agreement
As a teacher at Acro Enso, I ______________________ accept that I am a respected leader of my community and that my role is to establish and maintain a safe and nurturing container in which all students may grow and learn. To rise to the role expected of me, I will abide, to the best of my ability, by the ethical teacher agreement as follows:
- Am passionate about what I do
- Am responsible for myself, for my class, and for my students
- Accommodate and respect the needs and boundaries of every student
- Lead by example for healthy and honest communication
- Invest in my studentship and in my practice to provide quality instruction
- Maintain my integrity by treating all people equal
- Practice and teach consent at every opportunity
- Am responsible for resolving any inappropriate or dangerous misconduct in my class
- Uphold a professional relationship with my students
- Am accountable for my mistakes
- Adhere to my sobriety leading up to and during my class
- Practice gender neutral, non-sexual, and non-violent communication
- Respect power differentials and the vulnerability of the student teacher relationship
- Give credit to my lineage and strive to foster my own ingenuity in my practice
- Strive to speak positively of others
- Motivate and encourage every student, especially the shy and timid
- Provide constructive and concise feedback to all my students
- Take care of my physical and mental presentation during class